Sunday, October 25, 2009

More Ram in my computer

My ex came over and installed a gig of ram to my computer.
It runs so much better now.

We bought the ram from ebay, that was cool because I'd never bought anything from ebay before. They have a "buy it now" button if you see what you want for the price you want to pay for it. I discovered that if you see something priced on ebay for a price that's too good to be true, it is. Every time you bid on something, someone outbids you within seconds. I suppose it's possible that someone else was bidding the same time I was but I don't believe it. I think the seller had a minimum price set. If that's true why did he or she start the bidding for half of what they were really going to accept? I'm avoiding anything that doesn't have a buy it now button for the foreseeable future.

The ram came from ebay within 3 days, so that was kind of cool.

Apparently if you view a lot of pictures and especially if you view a lot of videos or edit videos for uploading to youtube your computer can slow down a lot. It seems to require more power or something to mess with videos. Since this is my work computer and my only source of income right now I'm a happier camper than I was last week.

I've spent many, many hours reading and learning from forums. There are dozens (maybe hundreds?) of different kinds of forums on every topic conceivable. I'm signed up for webmastering forums and marketing forums and writing skills forums (the writers seem to all prefer books to computer screens or ebooks).

Forums used to be called Bulletin Boards I'm finding out, they all seem to be using similar software as the layout of each one is remarkably similar. They all of a Control Panel (often called a CP) and they let you upload a picture of yourself. Not sure what an avatar is yet, but they all have one. They all seem to have an "off topic" section and an "introduce yourself" section.

I'm really embarrassed to ask questions where the people there seem to know extreme geek stuff, I'm not really required to know all that geek stuff but I should know a rudimentary amount of the terminology.

Some forums are less intimidating than others, will keep you posted:)

Judy Belt's Youtube Account

No comments:

Post a Comment